Every parent wants their kids to be of good health always. While it’s not possible to shield them completely from catching cold and flu especially if they are already schooling, the best that parents should do is to teach them healthy health habits to boost their immune systems and decrease the chance of getting infected. There are few tips to follow which somehow prevent kids from getting sick.
1. Get them into the hand washing habit. Hand washing is one of the most effective ways of preventing the spread of common school kid illnesses like cold, flu, and more. It is very important that you teach your kids to wash his hands before eating, after blowing his nose and after using the bathroom. Make it a daily habit for them.
2. Teach them how to wash their hands properly. It is important also to teach them how to properly wash their hands. The correct way of washing is she should wash it with soap and water for at least 30 seconds. It is not advisable to use antibacterial products to cleanse the hands because according to research it will just give rise to antibiotic-resistant bacteria. It is more effective to use soap for hand washing in order to kill the germs.
3. Demonstrate them how to cough and sneeze properly. Cold and flu viruses develop from airborne on droplets of saliva when someone sneezes or coughs. Teach your child the proper way of sneezing or coughing by covering his mouth with a handkerchief or tissue or use her elbow if the like is not available.
4. Tell them to avoid touching their eyes. If your child touches something that someone with cold has touched and then touches his eyes or mouth, then the cold viruses can penetrate his body through those points. Infections like conjunctivitis can be transmitted through touching eyes after touching an object that has been handled by someone with that infection. Be sure to remind your child for that matter.
5. Encourage them not to share utensils and cups with friends. It is the nature of the kids to share to their friends whatever they have, but it’s not a good idea to share eating utensils with friends especially during cold and flu season. Viruses and bacteria can be transmitted through saliva, therefore tell them to avoid sharing utensils.