Adults need eight full hours of sleep and teens need nine hours and 15 minutes says John Shepard, Jr. M.D. However the average person only gets seven hours and 25 minutes of sleep per night.
So you don't have to count sheep in order to sleep, by following the 10 tips for better sleep you can have a restful sleep during the night. Just try one or two or a combination until you have enough and quality sleep to feel alert and rested during the night.
1. Stick to a schedule and don't sleep late on weekends. Don't sleep late on Saturday and Sunday you'll get a Sunday night insomnia. Instead, go to bed and get up at the same time every day. Don't rely on the alarm clock to wake you up when you get enough sleep.
2. Don't eat or drink a lot before bedtime. Eat only light dinner two hours before sleeping. And also do not drink too much liquid before sleeping you'll wake up repeatedly in the night to go to the bathroom. Don't eat spicy or fatty foods. These foods will cause heartburn. Avoid eating midnight snacks. Don't drink alcohol near bedtime. It will cause you to snore or develop sleep apnea.
3. Avoid caffeine and nicotine. They will keep you awake because of the additive stimulants present in these food and cigarette.
4. Exercise. For a better sleep, the best time to exercise is in the afternoon. It enhances the deep and refreshing stage of sleep.
5. A slightly cool room is ideal for sleeping. Try to sleep in warmer night clothes and wear socks if your room is cold. Use also blankets. If it's hot at night wear light night clothes and sleep under a single sheet.
6. Sleep only at night. Daytime naps steal hours from nighttime slumber. Limit daytime sleep up to 20 minutes. if you work in the nights, keep window curtains closed so that you will not be bothered by the rays of the sunlight. If you have a day job and sleep at night, leave the window curtains open and let the sun's light wake you up.
7. Keep it quiet. silence is more conducive to sleep. Turn off the radio and tv. You can use earplugs to mask sound that you cannot control such as a snoring partner, busy street, vehicles blowing horns, etc.
8. Make your bed. Make sure you have a comfortable bed that offers a good night sleep. Go to bed when your tired and turn out the lights. do not agonize about falling asleep, stress will only prevent from sleeping.
9. soak and sack out. Taking a hot shower or bath before bed helps bring on sleep because they can relax the tense muscles.
10. Don't rely on sleeping pills. Check with your doctor before taking any medicine for sleeping.